Subject Verb Agreement English Grammar Questions with Answer
All English grammars questions and Answers Pdf Free Download for Competitive Exams like NEET, IAS, IPS, IFS, SSC, SSC CGL, GATE, UPSC, Postal, CDS, NDA, RRB JE, Railway, Insurance, IBPS Bank PO, SO, Clerk Mains Exams, IIT JEE, JEE Main, AIPMT and Other Entrance Exam Preparation and most important prepositions for all competitive exams pdf fully free of cost we provide you!
|01||Subject Verb Agreements|
|02||Subject Verb Agreement Questions And Answers|
|03||Top Subject Verb Questions|
|04||Subject Verb Agreement Tricks|
|04||Subject Verb Agreement In English Grammar|
Subject-verb agreement can be tricky for beginning readers and English learners. It means that the subject of the sentence must “agree” with its verb — in other words, if the subject is singular, the verb must also be singular. Practice this important grammatical concept with one subject-verb agreement quiz on simple and compound subjects and additional subject-verb agreement exercises on different types of sentences.
Top 10 Mobiles Phone Free
- Poco F1 by Xiaomi (Armored Edition, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage)
- OnePlus Nord CE 5G (Blue Void, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)
- OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)
- OnePlus 9RT 5G (Nano Silver, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)+Alexa hands-free capable
- OnePlus 9R 5G (Carbon Black, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)
- OnePlus 9 5G (Astral Black, 12GB RAM, 256GB Storage)
SUBJECT:- person,place,thing or idea that is doing or being something.
VERB:- Action performed by the subject or state of being.
Rony plays cricket regularly.
For making a sentence grammatically correct, a verb must agree with it’s Subject in Number.
And when SUBJECT IS SINGULAR
- That monkey eats Banana.
- This car goes fast.
- Preposition Questions And Answers
- Preposition Questions For Competitive Exams
- Question Of Preposition With Answer
- Subject Verb Agreement In English Grammar
- Subject Verb Agreement Questions And Answers PDF
SUBJECT IS PLURAL
- Those monkeys eat bananas.
- These cars go fast.
There are some important rules related to SUBJECT VERB AGREEMENT.
- Two kilos of tea _________ 600 rupees.
d. is costing
- Bread and butter __________________ my favourite breakfast.
- Curry and rice ______ my favourite food.
- Gopal and his sister _________ come.
- The jury __________________ divided in their opinion.
- The jury ____________ selected it’s chairman.
- The people of India ____________________ concerned about their spiritual welfare.
- A herd of cattle _________ grazing in the field.
- Stationary _______________ sold in this shop.
English Grammar Questions with Answers
- Two plus two ______________ four.
c. will make
- All the furnitures in the room ________________ repairing.
d. will need
- None of the students ______ arrived yet.
- One of my friends _________ very helpful.
b. have been
- My friend, philosopher and guide ______________ dead.
- Two thirds of the acid _____ evaporated.
c. has been
d. have been
Ans: has been
- One third of the apple ______ rotten.
- A group of smugglers __________ yesterday
d. have been
- Bad news _______ fast.
b. will travel
- A crowd of people _______ shouting slogans.
What is Subject-Verb Agreement?
Subject-Verb agreement refers to the logic of singular verb for singular subject and plural verb for plural subject, i.e. Subject and verb in a sentence must agree in numbers. To explain subject-verb agreement, let’s look at these examples:
1.Apple is in the basket. 2. Apples are in the basket.
In the first example, there is one apple, thus the verb (is) singular. In the second example, there is more than one apple (plural), thus the verb used (are) is plural.
However, in present tense, the opposite rule applies. i.e. Nouns add an s to the singular form and verbs remove an s from the singular form. For example, Child plays in the park flies in the sky and birds fly in the sky.https://thelivelearns.com/subject-verb-agreement-exercises-for-competitive-exam/embed/#?secret=SPfD1zT83F#?secret=C4ksJBlVKX
Subject-Verb Agreement Rules
There are 12 subject-verb agreement rules. To be able to use subject-verb agreement correctly in a sentence, one must understand these rules.
1. A phrase or clause between subject and verb does not change the number of the subject.
Eg 1: A pride of lions drinks water from the pond.
Explanation: Here, the pride of lions is the prepositional phrase. The verb drinks agrees with pride not lions.
2.Presence of infinite pronouns as subjects.
- Singular indefinite pronoun subjects take singular verbs.
This condition applies to each, either, neither, someone, somebody, something, everyone, everybody, everything one, no one, nobody, nothing, anyone, anybody, anything.
Eg 1: Each student does homework on time.
Explanation: Here, infinite pronoun (each) is singular, so verb (does) is singular.
- Plural indefinite pronoun subjects take plural verbs.
This condition applies to several, few, both, many
Eg 2: Both children go to school together.
Explanation: Here, infinite pronoun (children) is plural, so verb (go) is singular.
- Some infinite pronouns may be either singular or plural like in case of countable or uncountable.
Eg 3: My hair is falling.
Explanation: Hair is uncountable, thus singular verb (is) has been used.
Eg 4: Some of the mangoes are raw.
Explanation: Mangoes are countable, thus plural verb (are) has been used.
3. Compound subjects joined by and are always plural.
Eg 1: A black pepper and chillies make food spicy.
Explanation: Black pepper and chillies are plural thus, the verb used (make) is plural.
4. With compound subjects joined by or/nor, the verb agrees with the subject nearer to it.
Eg 1: Neither the teacher nor the students are happy with the announcement.
Explanation: Teacher and students (plural), thus the verb used (are) is plural.
5. Inverted Subjects: The subject and verb must be in agreement.
Eg 1: There is only one letter in the mail box.
Explanation: Since subject (letter) is singular, the verb used (is) is also singular.
6. Collective noun may be singular or plural depending on meaning or usage.
Eg 1: The Indian cricket team has been playing well in the current tournament.
Explanation: Here, the subject (Indian cricket team) is singular so the verb used (has) is singular.
Eg 2: The Indian cricket team members have been playing well in the current tournament.
Explanation: Here, the subject (team members) is plural so the verb used (have) is plural.
7. Titles of single units are always singular.
Eg 1: War and Peace is written by Leo Tolstoy.
Explanation: Here, the subject (book name War and Peace) is singular, thus verb used (is) is singular.
8. Plural form subjects
Plural form subjects with singular meaning always take a singular verb.
Eg 1: Physics has so many tough topics.
Explanation: Here, subject (Physics) has singular meaning, thus verb used (has) is singular.
Plural form subjects with singular or plural meaning take a singular or plural verb, depending on meaning.
Eg 1: Politics is an interesting topic to debate on.
Explanation: Here, the subject (politics) is used in singular term thus, the verb (is) used is single.
Eg 2: The politics of different countries are specific to their society.
Explanation: Here, the subject (politics) is used in plural form thus, the verb (are) used is plural
Plural form subjects with a plural meaning take plural verb.
Eg 1: My pink socks are wet.
Explanation: Here, the subject (socks) is in plural form thus, the verb (are) used is plural.
Eg 2: My pair of pink socks is wet.
Explanation: Here, the subject (pair) is in singular form thus, the verb (is) used is singular.
9. In case of subject and subjective complement of different number, the verb always agrees with the subject.
Eg 1: My favourite food is burger and fries.
Explanation: Here, the subject (food) is in singular form thus, the verb (is) used is singular.
Eg 2: Burger and fries are my favourite food.
Explanation: Here, the subject (burger and fries) is plural thus, verb (are) used is plural.
10. For fractional expressions, sometimes singular and sometimes plural verbs are used, depending on the meaning.
Eg 1: A majority of the class 9 students was unhappy with extra class.
Explanation: Here, the fractional [removed]majority of the class 9 students) is the singular subject, thus verb (was) used is singular.
11. If the sentence has both positive and negative subjects and one is plural, the other singular, the verb should agree with the positive subject.
Eg 1: It is the implementation and not the ideas that is posing a problem.
Explanation: Here, the positive subject is (implementation) is singular, and negative subject (not the ideas) is plural, thus verb (is) used is singular.
12. In case of modifiers between a subject and its verb, modifiers must not confuse the agreement between the subject and its verb.
Eg 1: The doctor who was chosen among the group of professionals as the housing secretary, is not performing his responsibilities well.
Explanation: Here, the subject (doctor) is singular, thus the verb (is) used is singular.
- Way To Earn Money Online
- India Of My Dreams In 2047
- Mental Health || Do you really know about mental health
Subject-Verb Agreement Exercises with Answers
Q1. A group of students __ stopped from entering the college. was/were
Q2. Tina and Mary __ were playing in the mud right now. are/is
Q3. Not only the manager but the employees too __ a holiday for New Year. want/wants
Q4. My spectacles ___ broken. are/is
Q5. Pen and paper __ the only items required for writing. is/are
Q6. Two slices of toast and coffee __ my daily breakfast. is/are
Q7. Seema and Nidhi __ go to school everyday. does not/do not
Q8. The local hockey team __ disqualified from the annual tournament for cheating. was/were
Q9. Majority of the board members__ with the CEO. agrees/agree
Q10. Neither I, nor my mother __ to go out in rain. like/likes
Q11. Most of the Indian food items __ turmeric. have/has
Q12. Tim is the only student who __ completed the project on time. has/have
Q13. For admission to the Zumba class, every student __ to fill a registration form. need/needs
Q14. One of my friends __ Masters in Biotechnology. is/are
Q15. This year every student __ that the school will reopen. hopes/hope
Q16. Bread and omelet __ my favourite breakfast. is/are
Q17. The football team __ new workout regime and equipment. want/wants
Q18. The political party, which is in majority in the parliament, __ support from the Opposition on important bills. expect/expects
Q19. Rahul and Richa plan to get married in summer but Richa’s family__ it to happen in winter. wants/want
Q20. Among all the children in my family, only my son __ like milk. don’t/doesn’t
Q21. Politics of US, UK and Russia __ vastly different from each other. is/are
Q22. A large number of voters still __ basis their party allegiance and not the candidate. votes/vote
Q23. Seven years __ a long time to live away from home. is/are
Q24. My four-year stint at the university __ very helpful in my personal growth. was/were
Q25. The economics of this country __ to be in a disarray. seems/seem
Q1. was Q2. are Q3. want Q4.are Q5. are Q6. is Q7.do not Q8.was Q9. agree Q10. like Q11. have Q12. has Q13. needs Q14. is Q15. hopes Q16. is Q17. wants Q18. expects Q19. wants Q20. don’t Q21. are Q22. vote Q23. is Q24. was Q25. seems
Subject Verb Agreement Exercises For Competitive Exam
- A number of children ___________ playing together
- No information__________________ available.
- That she is alive _________________ good news.
- The number of students in our class _______________ increasing day by day.
c. have been
- What he said _______________ concern me.
- The boy or his friends ___________________ to repair the broken window.
- The United States _____ a rich and powerful country.
- The blind ___________________ escorts to cross road.
- Population growth in addition to other problems ______________ badly affected India’s growth.
- It’s you who ____________ to blame for this.
English Grammar Questions with Answers Pdf
- A pair of shoes __________________ lying in the corner.
- Four fives ___________ twenty.
d. is making
- The country side _________________ are very beautiful in spring.
c. will look
- Which one of these books ___________ yours.
- None but the brave ___________ the fair.
- There (is/ are) a plenty of job opportunities for the people of this region.
- There (was/were) plenty of room for improvement in her work.
- Two twos (is/are) four.
- Seventy kilometres (is/are) a long distance.
- Fish and chips (is/are) not expensive as chicken and rice.
- A crowd (has/have) gathered in the street.
- The assembly (was/were) divided on this issue.
- The police (is/are) chasing the burglar.
- Her clothing (is/ are) waterproof.
- Either of the boys _________________ a won medal.
- Neither of those officers ___________ efficient.
- One of his friends _________ able to speak English fluently.
- Some honey________________ left on the pot.
a. have been
b. has been
Ans: has been
- The number of scholarships ______________ increased this year.
- He and his brother ________________ absent.
- Slow and steady _____________ the race.
d. has won
- Either of the two applicants ________ suitable.
- Many a man _________________ tempted by gold.
- Not one of his lectures _______________ printed.
a. have ever been
b. has ever been
c. was ever
Ans: has ever been
- The quality of the mangoes _____________ not good.
- The cost of all these articles __________ risen.
- A Verity of pleasing objects ______________ the eye.
- Two thirds of the city ___________________ in ruin.
- A thousand of rupees _________________ a good sum.
- A series of lectures _________ been arranged on the subject.
- Raman as well as his friends_______ won the prize.
- The council ______________ today in townhall.
- Either you or he ____________________ a lie.
- Neither iron nor coal _________________ to be found in that country.
- Neither praise nor blame ___________________ to affect her.
- Any boy or girl _______________ it at once.
- The king with all his ministers ________ killed.
- Raman as well as you ________________ won the prize.
- The wages of sin ___________ death.
- The news ______________ true.
- The majority of people __________________ watching games to playing games.
- The military ___________________ called out.
- I, who _______________ your friend will help you.
- I am the woman who _________ your help.
- He is one of these men who_________ everything.
- The general as well as his staff ____________ there.
- The secretary and treasurer _____________ a walk every morning.
- Mohan with his friends ________ caught.
- Lamb’s Tales _________ interesting book.
- He as well as you ____________ intelligent.
- Bread and butter _________________ a daily diet.
- One of the boys _______ punished.
- All that glitters _________ not gold
- A large number of women _____________ present at the meeting.
- Time and tide ______ for none.
- A knowledge of modern languages ______ essential these days.
- Either Ram or his brother ____________ at fault.
- Not one of these five boys_________ present there.
- Which one of these umbrella _________ yours?
- No news ______________ good news.
Correct the sentences.
- One hundred and 50 kilos of rice are enough.
Ans: one hundred and 50 kilos of rice is enough.
- Six weeks are a long vacation
Ans: six weeks is a long vacation.
- One of my friends have been waiting for me.
Ans: One of my friends is waiting for me.
- My family is early risers.
Ans: My family are early risers.
- My family live in Cuttack.
Ans: My family lives in Cuttack.
- A team of players are playing.
Ans: A team of players is playing.
- Two thirds of the land have been sold.
Ans: Two thirds of the land has been sold.
- The farmers with their children is working.
Ans: The farmers with their children are working.
- My pair ofspectacles have been broken.
Ans : My pair of spectacles has been broken.
- Law and order have to be maintained.
Ans: Law and order has to be maintained.
Subject Verb Agreement Exercises For Competitive Exam
In This Article We Will Teach You:
- Subject Verb Agreement
- Subject Verb Agreement Rules
Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams comes generally under the English Section or the Verbal ability section of the question paper. Though English for Entrance Exams is generally an easy section for any entrance examinations, the grammar part of it has always confused exam takers. Such questions conduct tests about the in-depth knowledge of a student in using a language, including subject verb agreement tests. Questions appear in the forms of:
- Fill in the blanks
- Sentence correction questions
Subject Verb Agreement
Consider the following statements:
- I am busy.
- You are clever.
- He is late.
- They are here.
These four sentences contain the same verb (be) and the same tense (Simple Present.) but the verb form is not the same in all the sentences. Am is used after I, are after you and they, and is after he. That is, different verb forms are used with different subjects. A verb must agree with its subject in number and person. This rule gives no trouble as long as there is no doubt of the subject and the number of subjects. Sometimes it would be difficult to determine exactly the nature of the subject. This article will give you pointers about the different forms of subject and the varied ways of subject verb agreement that generally are important in Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams. It will also point out the subject verb agreement rules with subject verb agreement examples and finally help to test your understanding of the topic with subject verb agreement mcq with answers.
Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams Rules
Collective nouns like family, government, team, audience, committee take either a singular verb or a plural verb. We use a singular verb if we are thinking of the group as a whole:
- The family has lived here for over a hundred years.
- The government isn’t very popular.
- The audience was large.
We use a plural verb if we are thinking of the group as a number of individual people:
- The family have all gone on holiday.
- The audience are requested to keep their seats.
The verb is always plural after people, police and cattle.
- People often say such things.
- The police are questioning two men.
- The cattle are grazing in the field.
We use a singular verb after a noun phrase of amount or measurement:
- Fifteen minutes is allowed to each speaker.
- Rs. 225 seems a lot of money for a shirt.
- 20 kilometres is a long way to walk.
We consider fifteen minutes, Rs. 225, or 20 kilometres to be a single thing (an amount or a quantity).
The following nouns ending in -s count as singular and therefore take singular verbs. The following nouns can be seen to have appeared repeatedly in Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams:
1. News :
The news is true.
2. Subject names like politics, economics, physics, mathematics:
Politics is one of his university subjects.
But : What are his politics ( = his political opinions) ?
3. Some proper names like Naples, Athens, Wales, the United States of America :
The United States of America is one of the most powerful nations in the world.
4. Some diseases like measles, numps, rickets :
Measles takes a long time to get over.
5. Plural titles of books, etc. :
Gulliver’s Travels is an enjoyable book.
Some nouns denoting two things joined together, like spectacles, scissors, trousers, pants, pyjamas, are treated as plural :
- Where are my spectacles?
- His trousers are dirty.
When two subjects are joined by or, either….or, or neither….nor, the general rule is that the verb agrees with the subject immediately before it.
- Either your brakes or your eye sight is at fault.
- Either your eyesight or your brakes are at fault.
- Neither the inspector nor the officers were able to help us.
Singular nouns joined by and usually take a plural verb. But a singular verb is used when we think of the nouns as making up “one thing”, e.g.
- Bread and butter was given to the travellers.
When the subject is one of many, the singular, to agree with one is used. It would be wrong to make the verb agree with the plural noun immediately before it.
- One of my brothers lives in England.
However, the use of a plural verb with either, neither, each, everyone, anyone, none (which are treated as singular) followed by plural noun or pronoun is common in the speech of educated native speakers. This is an important type of question that appears in the section of Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams.
Neither of them knows the answer.
or : Neither of them know the answer. (Informal).
Similarly, when a singular noun is followed by plural nouns (or nouns joined by and), the verb should be singular.
Mr. Raman, with his wife and children, has gone to Bombay. (Here the exact subject is Mr. Raman, which is singular.)
Note that the expression more than one noun, though plural in sense, is followed by a singular verb.
More than one person has died in the accident.
Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams Practice Questions
Choose the Correct Answer:
- Physics _____ his main subject.
Explanation: The subject of the sentence is Physics. The correct verb for physics is ‘is’.
- Your spectacles ______ on the table.
Explanation: The subject of the sentence is ‘spectacles’. The correct verb for spectacles is ‘are’
- The class ______an interesting novel called the Woodlanders this year.
- None of the above
Explanation: The class is a collective noun and signifies a group of people. The group is taken as singular, and hence the verb will be ‘learns’.
- More than one person ____ heard the news.
Explanation: When the expression ‘more than one’ is used in the subject, though plural in sense, it is followed by a singular verb.
- Neither Kumar nor his wife ____ at home.
Explanation: When two subjects are joined by or, either….or, or neither….nor, the general rule is that the verb agrees with the subject immediately before it. So, since wife immediately precedes the verb, ‘was’ is correct.
Hope this article helped you in understanding more about the section of Subject Verb Agreement for Entrance Exams. Try out the Subject-Verb Agreement quiz by clicking here.
1 thought on “Subject Verb Agreement English Grammar Questions with Answer”